Re: "Digital Industrial Complex"

The PDF is the millstone around the neck of scholarly
communications today.  But it will drag its proponents under the
water soon, and other formats will thrive.

I repeat a core thesis:  the future of scholarly communications
is going to be built on the infrastructure of consumer
publishing.  This is because in a networked world, the number of
nodes connected to a network matter (Metcalfe's Law), and the
consumer market has the big numbers.  Scholarly needs will be
layered on top of consumer infrastructure.  Rather than ask, What
kind of technology should we bring to the platforms, technical
and cultural, of an academic institution?--we should be asking,
How do we meaningfully layer academic needs and interests onto
the platforms of the consumer market, such things as Google, the
iPhone, and Twitter?  And, good lord, how we need those academic
layers:  a day spent researching new consumer media makes one
wonder if anyone out there except the engineers have half a
brain.

Take a look at the beta site for Google Editions.  Now imagine a
world with a billion smartphones, all of which display text
through a browser.  Or go the next step and purchase a Droid at
Verizon and then go to the Google Editions beta site.  Now ask
yourself what you are going to do with all those PDFs whose text
will not reflow to fit a mobile reading device.  Next question:
Since a Droid is clearly inadequate for many aspects of scholarly
communications, how do we supplement the Droid (layering on the
infrastructure) to meet academic requirements?

I addressed some parts of this in "Retrofitting Scholarly
Communications":  http://j.mp/guC35.

Joe Esposito