Re: Essay on article metrics

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Joseph Esposito
<espositoj@gmail.com> wrote:

> See Phil Davis today in The Scholarly Kitchen:
>
> http://bit.ly/8T69j3
>
> Davis is developing a set of insights that an enterprising
> editor will want to see as a book, "The Metrics of Scholarly
> Communication." One of his strengths is his ability to explain
> statistics to people who have no training in the field.

Phil Davis: "An interesting bit of research, although I have some
methodological concerns about how you treat the data, which may
explain some inconsistent and counter-intuitive results, see:
http://j.mp/8LK57u A technical response addressing the
methodology is welcome."

Thanks for the feedback. We reply to the three points of
substance, in order of importance:

(1) LOG RATIOS: We analyzed log citation ratios to adjust for
departures from normality. Logs were used to normalize the
citations and attenuate distortion from high values. This
approach loses some values when the log tranformation makes the
denominator zero, but despite these lost data, the t-test results
were significant, and were further confirmed by our second,
logistic regression analysis. Moed's (2007) point was about
(non-log) ratios that were not used in this study. We used the
ratio of log citations and not the log of citation ratios. When
we compare log3/log2 with log30/log20, we don't compare
percentages with percentages (60% with 14%) because the citation
values are transformed or normalized: the higher the citations,
the stronger the normalisation. It is highly unlikely that any of
this would introduce a systematic bias in favor of OA, but if the
referees of the paper should call for a "simpler and more
elegant" analysis to make sure, we will be glad to perform it.

(2) EFFECT SIZE: The size of the OA Advantage varies greatly from
year to year and field to field. We reported this in Hajjem et al
(2005), stressing that the important point is that there is
virtually always a positive OA Advantage, absent only when the
sample is too small or the effect is measured too early (as in
Davis et al's 2008 study). The consistently bigger OA Advantage
in physics (Brody & Harnad 2004) is almost certainly an effect of
the Early Access factor, because in physics, unlike in most other
disciplines (apart from computer science and economics), authors
tend to make their unrefereed preprints OA well before
publication. (This too might be a good practice to emulate, for
authors desirous of greater research impact.)

(3) MANDATED OA ADVANTAGE? Yes, the fact that the citation
advantage of mandated OA was slightly greater than that of
self-selected OA is surprising, and if it proves reliable, it is
interesting and worthy of interpretation. We did not interpret it
in our paper, because it was the smallest effect, and our focus
was on testing the Self-Selection/Quality-Bias hypothesis,
according to which mandated OA should have little or no citation
advantage at all, if self-selection is a major contributor to the
OA citation advantage.

Our sample was 2002-2006. We are now analyzing 2007-2008. If
there is still a statistically significant OA advantage for
mandated OA over self-selected OA in this more recent sample too,
a potential explanation is the inverse of the
Self-Selection/Quality-Bias hypothesis (which, by the way, we do
think is one of the several factors that contribute to the OA
Advantage, alongside the other contributors: Early Advantage,
Quality Advantage, Competitive Advantage, Download Advantage,
Arxiv Advantage, and probably others).

The Self-Selection/Quality-Bias (SSQB) consists of better authors
being more likely to make their papers OA, and/or authors being
more likely to make their better papers OA, because they are
better, hence more citeable. The hypothesis we tested was that
all or most of the widely reported OA Advantage across all fields
and years is just due to SSQB. Our data show that it is not,
because the OA Advantage is no smaller when it is mandated. If it
turns out to be reliably bigger, the most likely explanation is a
variant of the "Sitting Pretty" (SP) effect, whereby some of the
more comfortable authors have said that the reason they do not
make their articles OA is that they think they have enough access
and impact already. Such authors do not self-archive
spontaneously. But when OA is mandated, their papers reap the
extra benefit of OA, with its Quality Advantage (for the better,
more citeable papers). In other words, if SSQB is a bias in favor
of OA on the part of some of the better authors, mandates reverse
an SP bias against OA on the part of others of the better
authors. Spontaneous, unmandated OA would be missing the papers
of these SP authors.

There may be other explanations too. But we think any explanation
at all is premature until it is confirmed that this new mandated
OA advantage is indeed reliable and replicable. Phil further
singles out the fact that the mandate advantage is present in the
middle citation ranges and not the top and bottom. Again, it
seems premature to interpret these minor effects whose
unreliability is unknown, but if forced to pick an interpretation
now, we would say it was because the "Sitting Pretty" authors may
be the middle-range authors rather than the top ones...

Yassine Gargouri, Chawki Hajjem, Vincent Lariviere, Yves Gingras,
Les Carr, Tim Brody, Stevan Harnad

Brody, T. and Harnad, S. (2004) Comparing the Impact of Open
Access (OA) vs. Non-OA Articles in the Same Journals. D-Lib
Magazine 10(6).

Davis, P.M., Lewenstein, B.V., Simon, D.H., Booth, J.G.,
Connolly, M.J.L. (2008) Open access publishing, article
downloads, and citations: randomised controlled trial British
Medical Journal 337:a568

Hajjem, C., Harnad, S. and Gingras, Y. (2005) Ten-Year
Cross-Disciplinary Comparison of the Growth of Open Access and
How it Increases Research Citation Impact. IEEE Data Engineering
Bulletin 28(4) 39-47.

Moed, H. F. (2006) The effect of 'Open Access' upon citation
impact: An analysis of ArXiv's Condensed Matter Section Journal
of the American Society for Information Science and Technology
58(13) 2145-2156

***