APS Journals Come Home

Announcement:

Ridge, New York, January 4, 2010: As part of a new APS
initiative, all APS journal content from 1893 to present is now
hosted on a single platform run by the APS Editorial Office.  In
early December 2009, APS launched our Physical Review Online
Archive (PROLA) on this entirely new software platform.  This new
platform now hosts all of the content for Physical Review
Letters, Reviews of Modern Physics, Physical Review A through E,
and Physical Review Special Topics providing a uniform user
experience across the journals.

Despite all of the behind-the-scene changes, APS's clean and
easy-to-navigate user interface has been maintained and improved
while our highly-regarded search engine has been overhauled to
provide new features and even faster response times.  In
addition, we have added new APS Journal accounts that will allow
us to better integrate all APS services provided to readers,
authors, referees, and members during the coming year while
allowing users to have a more personalized view.  This new
foundation will allow APS to move quickly to introduce many new
features across all of our web sites.

APS journal subscriptions have also been re-aligned.  Each
journal subscription now covers the entire journal's content all
the way back to its first volume.  For example, a PROLA
subscription is no longer needed to access the early volumes of
PRL if you have a PRL subscription.  However, a PROLA
subscription is still needed to access Physical Review content
from 1893-1969 and the archival content of journals for which you
do not have a subscription.  For APS-ALL and PR-ALL package
subscribers, the main effect will be to attribute downloads of
older content to the journal subscriptions rather than the PROLA
subscription.

A new portal for librarians is also in the works.  As a first
step, http://librarians.aps.org/ has been updated with the same
look and feel as the rest of our journal web sites.  Please see
http://librarians.aps.org/2010-transition for a brief FAQ
covering the basic changes that affect institutional subscribers.
More changes will be made in the next few weeks.

For more information, please contact the APS Associate Publisher
at assocpub@aps.org.

****