Documents for a Digital Democracy

Dear colleagues,

This week, Ithaka S+R has released "Documents for a Digital
Democracy: A Model for the Federal Depository Library Program in
the 21st Century" at http://bit.ly/6hk3b0. In a project
commissioned by the Association of Research Libraries and the
Chief Officers of State Library Agencies, we have examined the
essential role of the Federal Depository Library Program in
distributing, providing access to, and preserving government
documents and how the transition of government information from
print to digital impacts the Program's long-term approach and
sustainability. In the course of this project, we interviewed
nearly 90 individuals, including librarians from 40 institutions,
in order to understand a broad range of perspectives on the
pressures facing the FDLP.

The report offers a new vision for a system-wide framework that
emphasizes the digitization of historical collections to enable
dramatically expanded access to this material, greater
flexibility in collection management, improved coordination of
new government publications by the Government Printing Office
(GPO) to ensure that access and preservation needs are adequately
addressed, and an expanded role for librarians that emphasizes
helping the public to locate, access, and use the wide range of
information available.

We hope that the findings and framework in this report will
catalyze vibrant discussion about the future of this important
program, and we look forward to continuing to engage with the
library community on this issue. We welcome your feedback, and
encourage you to read and comment on the report on the Ithaka S+R
website at http://bit.ly/6hk3b0.

Best regards,

Roger Schonfeld and Ross Housewright

Roger C. Schonfeld
Manager of Research
Ithaka S+R
Tel: 212-500-2338
Fax: 212-500-2366

Ithaka S+R (www.ithaka.org/ithaka-s-r) is the strategy and
research arm of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit organization dedicated
to helping the academic community use digital technologies to
preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and
teaching in sustainable ways. The Ithaka S+R team supports
innovation in higher education by working with initiatives and
organizations to develop sustainable business models and by
conducting research and analysis on the impact of digital media
on the academic community as a whole. Insights from these efforts
are shared broadly, with more than a dozen reports freely
available online. JSTOR, an accessible archive of more than 1,000
scholarly journals and other content, and Portico, a service that
preserves content published in electronic form for future
generations, are also part of ITHAKA.