Re: Legal Battles Over E-Book Rights to Older Books

An interesting article, but it fails to note one very obvious
reason that the battle over e-book rights has taken on added
importance: the Google Settlement.  Here is what I wrote in this
regard in an article about Google 2.0 forthcoming in the next
issue of Against the Grain:

Google 2.0 is unquestionably an improvement on Google 1.0 in many
respects, and the chances for approval by the judge after the
final fairness hearing scheduled for February 18 now seem much
better than before. But, besides the loose ends and only partly
satisfactory solutions identified above, the Settlement still
leaves much to be desired in other respects. Although it is good
to have some funding explicitly aimed at helping identify and
locate the rightsholders of unclaimed, including orphan, works
through the redirection of monies not claimed by rightsholders,
publishers in general and university presses in particular
continue to face the daunting challenge of knowing what rights
they actually have.

As Mike Shatzkin observed in his blog about "A serious issue for
big publishers"  on April 14, "they are largely in the dark about
what rights they own." The Google-related issues primarily
revolve around whether the rights to an inactive book (or, in the
settlement lingo, what they would call 'not commercially
available') have reverted to the author or are still held by the
publisher. Publishers also have problems with books on which they
unambiguously have the rights to print and sell copies. What they
don't know, without looking at the original contract, is whether
the language in it gives them a shot at an ebook, a
print-on-demand edition, or allows them to include some of the
material in that book in an electronic database. Even looking at
the contract might not tell them if they have the rights to use
artwork that is in the book in any other edition"

(http://www.idealog.com/blog/a-serious-issue-for-big-publishers).

Some commercial publishers face an additional challenge that
university presses fortunately do not have to worry about:
companies that once were independent have merged, sometimes
several times over, and tracking the disposition of rights across
various stages of merger can be a major obstacle to clarity about
who now holds what rights.  But university presses have the same
problems commercial publishers do with rights reversion and old
contracts not containing any or inadequate language about
electronic rights.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press