Re: Legal Battles Over E-Book Rights to Older Books

And today the Times reports that bestselling author Stephen Covey
has taken the electronic rights for some of his books from Simon
& Schuster and is publishing them exclusively with Amazon, which
has promised a huge promotion:

http://bit.ly/8omulo

For publishers this is half-scary (It's "Nightmare on Elm
Street," not "The Shining").  Covey still has a publisher,
Rosetta Books; he is not working directly with Amazon, which is
the ultimate terror for publishers.

This topic may appear to be far from the concerns of the
academy--Stephen Covey, after all, is not Harold Varmus.  But the
precedents will be rippling through the industry in the coming
year or two.  We can expect to see:

*Amazon will continue its assault on bricks-and-mortar bookstores
by challenging them on pricing, primarily with subsidized Kindle
books.  We could lose a third of independent bookstores in 3
years (from 15% to 10% of trade business).

*More deals between mega-retailers and authors (it's not
generally known outside the industry, but Barnes & Noble is the
tenth largest trade publisher in the U.S.)

*More attempts at direct marketing by publishers.  This will
mostly be direct-to-consumer (or to researcher), but there also
are a growing number of attempts by book publishers to sell
directly to libraries, bypassing Baker & Taylor and Ingram.

*And a proliferation of ebook devices and formats.  Yes, the time
has finally come for the ebook.  Watch especially for Google
Editions on Android phones.

(Pssst!  Click here for a special deal on a crystal ball.)

Joe Esposito