RE: The elephant in the room

Hello,

This is my first post to this group so my apologies in advance if
I breach any protocol.  For full disclosure, I should state at
the outset that I am the CEO of DeepDyve, a startup that is
partnering with publishers and renting* articles to
non-institutional users for $0.99.

I've been following this thread closely and agree with the risks
facing the scholarly publishing industry.  It is not simply the
economy, which will go thru cycles; rather I believe the risks
are more fundamental and lasting, namely how users will
experience content and their ensuing expectations.  I believe the
scientific and scholarly publishing industry will face the same
crossroads that other content industries are facing today
(newspapers, magazines, music, books, video...) and much as we
may want to believe that our content is 'different', history
suggests otherwise.  I blogged in more detail about this at:
http://blog.deepdyve.com/2009/12/07/the-call-for-action/

William Park
DeepDyve

*By rent, we allow the user to read-only the article at our site
thru a "viewer" such that it cannot be downloaded, copied or
printed.  More info at:  http://www.deepdyve.com/how-it-works