Learned Publishing - January 2010 issue now available

Dear Liblicense Readers,

We are happy to announce the January 2010 issue of Learned
Publishing is now available on the IngentaConnect platform.

We have an interesting and eclectic issue to start 2010 - lots of
'Ps' in fact: the Practical, the Personal, the Provocative, the
Perverse (no, surely not - Ed), Plagiarism, Pigs and Peaks, and
even a Publisher! Plus items from librarians, academics, editors,
intermediaries and one or two of unknown allegiance.

Studies by RIN (the Research Information Network) have indicated
that the peer review or refereeing process is the most costly
part of the whole formal scholarly communication system - so
anything that makes it more efficient should be welcome. There's
a reprinted piece (that's not the plagiarism bit) giving some
background and experience with the Neuroscience Peer Review
Consortium where , astonishingly, over 30 journals have got
together to share some aspects of peer review - you'll have to
read it to find out more. Then there's another item with a novel
idea on how to reward referees in a much more tangible way (no,
not money) and so make it more worthwhile for them to do it well
- see what you think.

But what about the naughty bits? Well, we have two pieces on
plagiarism

-one that explains what CrossCheck is and how it works, and other
a case study in China that is using it (CrossCheck), apparently
to some effect - a nice counter to any that might have thought
they were not taking it seriously. There's more to come on
plagiarism in subsequent issues in 2010. Is there anyone else
who, like me, thinks the term 'self-plagiarism' a little strange?

Then what about that pernicious little measure, the Impact Factor
(IF to the initiated) - ask your friend or colleague if they can
define it - always a good place to start. Two pieces, again. One
from an editor who defends some (but not all) of the techniques
some journals use to manipulate it - check out his argument. Then
one from a researcher who gets all personal in explaining what it
means, for him, when he analyses his own papers for the
journal-associated IF.

Of course, we have to have something on Open Access - not just
something, but two things, really. One is a good factual account
on what is happening for the funding systems to support 'gold'
access, and how institutions are setting themselves up (or not)
to help their researchers/authors - and another suggesting that,
maybe, a kind of 'group institutional subscription for gold open
access' (which does exist already in some cases)  maybe the way
'big deals' have to go - so nothing to groan about - just
interesting stuff.

But there's lots more - what should publishers be doing about
digital rights?; why aren't metrics made much more helpful to
working researchers in their daily lives?; why those in drug
companies - sorry 'pharma' - need a much more liberal system if
their work is not to be hampered by those digital rights
management schemes we just mentioned; and a piece on the limits
to outsourcing - not by going in-house, but by having a closer
collaboration with a provider.

Last and not least, we have the book reviews - in one, you'll
find the comment 'Excuse me, is this 1958?' - so you see we can
be quite cutting, as well as 'cutting edge'.

I hope that's whetted your appetite - here's where to go to see
the contents list - after that you're on your own- you either
already subscribe, or need to, or of course you can wait until
it's all gone Open Access:
<http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp/latest

Enjoy!

Alan Singleton
Editor
Learned Publishing
editor@alpsp.org

All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members and to journal
subscribers; in addition, editorials, reviews and letters to the
Editors, as well as any articles where the author has taken up
the 'ALPSP Author Choice' OA option, are now free to all. If you
would like to receive an email alert or RSS feed every time a new
issue goes online, all you have to do is sign up at
<http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp>