From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Toby.GREEN@oecd.org
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:02 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: The elephant in the room

A national license model exists in one or two markets: Brazil and
Greece are examples. There are upsides and downsides with them,
not least considerable time spent negotiating the arrangements.
Small publishers will find it hard to break into such
negotiations for the same reason as they find it hard to take a
share of library budgets. Hence solutions like ALPSP ejournal
collection whereby small publishers can gather in a "shoal" to
compete with the big boys. (I should point out that I will be
ALPSP chair from Jan). Toby