De Gruyter re-launches its corporate image

For immediate release:

De Gruyter re-launches its corporate image

To mark its 260th anniversary, Walter de Gruyter has radically
re-thought and modernized its brand image. The publishing house
will now be known simply as "De Gruyter" and the re-launch will
standardize the company's image with a common logo and with an
emphasis on the quality of the brand. Only two imprints will
continue within the overall framework of "De Gruyter:" "De
Gruyter Mouton," which will be solely responsible for linguistics
publications in English, and "De Gruyter Saur," an imprint
exclusively for the field of library and information science. The
"Max Niemeyer" brand will be integrated into De Gruyter, with the
name only continuing in selected publications.

In addition to the new logo, a program is being implemented to
bring the cover designs for the various works published by De
Gruyter, including periodicals and the user interfaces for
e-products, in line with the new image. De Gruyter's newly
designed web site (www.degruyter.com) launched December 1, 2009,
and publicity material such as brochures and catalogs will also
be revised.

"After the fusion of Walter de Gruyter, K. G. Saur, and Max
Niemeyer in 2006, De Gruyter's 260th anniversary seemed the
appropriate time to develop a new corporate design," says Dr.
Sven Fund, De Gruyter's CEO. "With a uniform corporate image, we
can meet the need of our customers and authors to see De Gruyter
as a strong brand in the global marketplace."

In 1919, the publisher Walter de Gruyter forged a major academic
publishing-house from the five individual publishers of G. J.
Goeschen, I. Guttentag, Georg Reimer, Karl I. Truebner and Veit &
Comp., with its oldest component, Georg Reimer, having been
established on October 29, 1749. De Gruyter, still an independent
family firm today, is committed to its long tradition of academic
excellence in all disciplines.

If you have any questions about De Gruyter's new branding, please
contact:

Kathryn Ruehle
Marketing, North America