Re: The elephant in the room

The mouse in the room that frightens the elephant is the
possibility that the academy is, like housing, wrestling with
overleverage.  Access to cheap money in the form of subsidized
student loans enabled the development of infrastructure and
services that are now, as the society is being deleveraged
everywhere from Wall St. to Main St., proving too costly to
maintain.  Add up all the student debt and ask yourself:  How
will all this money be repaid?  What is the return on that
investment?

A friend of mine, who is on the faculty of a law school, tells me
that the average graduate of his institution is carrying debt in
the range of $150,000-$200,000.  Where does the implicit optimism
about the prospects of a legal career come from?  My knees grow
weak at the thought of having to shoulder that kind of debt.
And then I think of the buildings, staff, libraries, and so forth
that that debt helped to pay for.

Publishers benefited over the years from the cheap money policy.
If they suffer now, it is not because the market is failing, as
Fred Friend contends, but because the market is returning.

Joe Esposito