Re: The elephant in the room

The elephant in the room is not the prospect of journal
subscription cancellations, because as long as researchers need
access to peer- reviewed journals, and as long as peer-reviewed
journals are accessible only via subscriptions, subscriptions
will remain viable, and institutions will just have to keep
paying for whatever fraction they can afford them.

The elephant in the room is Open Access (OA) self-archiving of
journal articles by the "Slumbering Giant" -- the universal
provider of all the content of the planet's 25,000 peer-reviewed
journals: the planet's 10,000 universities and research
institutions.

As soon as the Slumbering Giant awakes to the fact that OA is
fully within its reach -- all it has to do is to mandate it --
all the fuss about journal affordability, institutional serials
crises, and publisher overpricing will fade, for researchers will
have access to all refereed research, not just the fraction of it
to which their institutions can afford to subscribe today.

And then, maybe, institutions will start canceling, their users'
needs no longer being inelastic, thanks to the OA mandates.

And then publishers will cut costs, lower prices, and eventually
make a transition to OA publishing, recovering the costs of peer
review from institutional publication fees, paid out of a
fraction of institutions' windfall subscription cancellation
savings.

That's the real elephant in the room, if you like. But as long as
we persist in imagining instead that it's something to do with
journal pricing, "Big Deals," and the need for pricing reform, we
will not only fail to notice the elephant, we will fail to grasp
its tail, which is fully within our reach. Instead, we will, like
the drunk and the lamp-post, keep fumbling where the elephant
isn't (or, like the blind men and the elephant, fail to grasp
what it is)!

Lester Loxodont