Joint licensing for consortia of less than 5 adademic institutions inquiry

In 2003-04, Carleton and St. Olaf College libraries made the
decision to form a library consortium-The Bridge, the name given
to the joint catalog, to commemorate the merging of our catalogs
as a resource for developing and managing all of our collections
as one. Today I am sending out this inquiry on behalf of the
Bridge Collection Development Working Group.

We would appreciate learning from those of you who are part of a
small consortium (fewer than 5 participating institutions)
whether you have been able to negotiate joint-license agreements
for your electronic resources specifically any of your databases
as opposed to e-journals. However, if you would like to include
information on license agreements for e-journals in your answers
to the questions below , please do.

1.How many institutions are in the consortium?

2.Is there a single IP for all the libraries in the consortium?

3.If there is more than one IP address, does each institution
have a separate license agreement?

4.Which vendors (if any) have allowed joint license agreements.
Were you able to garner significant savings through
joint-licensing?

5.If your institution has not negotiated joint-license
agreements, have you negotiated joint FTE pricing? If so, has
there been any savings?

6.Identify any barriers (policies and practices), if any, that
your institution overcame in order to develop cooperation in
licensing and delivery of e-resources?

Please reply directly to me. Thank you for your time.

Kathy E. Tezla, Head Collection Development
Laurence McKinley Gould Library Carleton College
One North College Street
Northfield, MN 55057
Phone 507.222.5447; FAX 507.222.4087
http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/library/