question about e book license

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the purchase of an
e-book-

It is a one- time purchase of an e- reference volume with
perpetual access rights. Small print says we will always have
access to this reference work by paying a one-time fee...

... Unless we cancel each and every journal subscription from
this publisher (there is a 99.9999% chance we will never cancel
all the subscriptions from this publisher), ...and then there's a
lengthy paragraph on annual access fees coming into play if this
is the only remaining volume we access from this publisher..

We have always signed this type of statement fully confident we
will always have subscriptions from this publisher so we will
always have access.

Would anyone take the time to tangle with the publisher to change
such wording to say, for example: "one time payment for perpetual
access is just that, period. Take out all the wording about extra
fees in the event we end all relationships with this publisher"

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Matt Person
MBLWHOI Library

Matthew Person