Re: Open Access uptake prompts 9% price reduction for the EMBO Journal and EMBO reports

Dear colleagues,

The following press release was posted yesterday in the NPG Press
Room, http://www.nature.com/press_releases/emboopen.html

Please see my comments below.

----------------

Open Access uptake prompts 9% price reduction for The EMBO Journal and
EMBO reports

PRESS RELEASE FROM NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP

Contact: Grace Baynes
Corporate Public Relations, Nature Publishing Group
T:+44 (0)20 7014 4063
g.baynes@nature.com

Prices for site licence access to The EMBO Journal and EMBO
reports will be reduced by 9% in 2010, reflecting the increased
publication of Open Access content in 2008. Nature Publishing
Group (NPG) and the European Molecular Biology Organisation
(EMBO) announced the decision today, following ratification by
the EMBO Council.

We've taken into account all of the relevant data in reaching
this decision, including the number of Open Access articles
published in 2008," said David Hoole, Head of Content Licensing,
NPG. "This change reflects the recent growth in the amount of
Open Access content in both journals and the corresponding
partial coverage of publication costs by author charges."

For the 2010 subscription year, there will be a 9% reduction on
the 2009 site licence list price. This reduction is net of an
annual inflationary price increase. Print and personal
subscription prices are unaffected.

"We are delighted to be able to offer real savings to our library
customers, based on the hybrid business model," said David Hoole
in a letter to customers. "We hope this helps ease some of the
pressure on library budgets, while increasing access to the
academic literature."

For the 2011 subscription year onwards, both the site licence
price and author fees will be considered in an effort to achieve
equitable distribution of the costs of publication. This
evaluation will involve an in-depth review of all factors
relevant to the publication process, including the proportion of
Open Access content and authors' ability to pay for Open Access
and other publication-related costs.

NPG publishes and EMBO reports on behalf of EMBO. An Open Access
option on both journals was introduced in January 2007. NPG has
implemented hybrid models across many of its academic journals,
and expects those titles to show price reductions in due course,
as the volume of open access increases.

NPG will be contacting customers individually. Customers who have
already paid for a 2010 subscription should contact their NPG
sales representative or subscription agent to claim an
adjustment.

-ENDS-

Related links:

European Molecular Biology Organization announces an option for
author-paid open access articles in The EMBO Journal and EMBO
reports (December 2006)
http://www.nature.com/press_releases/EMBO_open_CCL.pdf

-----------------

A statement like this will not be enough to keep libraries and
funders like the Wellcome Trust from asking NPG for more
transparency. As I wrote in my paper, EMBO and NPG should lay
open their cards and make the financial basis and rational of
their calculations transparent.

The netto price reduction with respect to 2009 is 9%, the brutto
reduction, with respect to the originally communicated 2010 list
price, taking into account this year's "annual inflationary price
increase" of 4% (fully applied to the print price), is 12,5%.
"Inflation", of course, is taken for granted, even if the journal
itself doesn't grow but reduces its output, as EMBO did.

The price adjustment now announced may reflect "the recent growth
in the amount of Open Access content in both journals and the
corresponding partial coverage of publication costs by author
charges", but even if we buy this logic, the 4% OA uptake in the
first year and the corresponding partial coverage of publication
costs by EMBO authors has been ignored and not passed over as a
price reduction to subscribers. This was clearly "double
dipping", and it would have been appropriate to increase this
year's price reduction correspondingly. So we expect and ask NPG
and EMBO to take it into account for next year's price reduction.

On the other hand, EMBO & NPG are anyway clearly not living up to
their promise made upon starting the EMBO Open program in
December 2006, when they told us that the site license price
would be adjusted in line with the amount of content published
under the subscription model annually. (And this is not a mere
question of interpretation as NPG is well aware that they are
departing from their original policy, which by the way is the
same as that followed by Springer under their Open Choice
program.)

Instead, what research libraries have witnessed since the
changeover from Oxford University Press to NPG, was a price hike
by a factor of 2 or above, immediately after takeover, a decision
that greatly diminished institutional access to this journal.
This was followed later by a reduction in published output of
about 1/3, in waves, first after takeover, and then, following a
short recovery in 2006, again starting with 2007, when the
journal had gone hybrid. In 2007, initial editorial rejections
went up steeply, rejection rate after peer review was reduced
correspondingly, increasing efficiency and speed of publication
whilst reducing cost. In 2008, the submission rate had decreased
as well (by 9% comp. to 2006). However, instead of passing on
part of these substantial savings to the research libraries, the
cost to them have multiplied through the transfer and stay at
that level, with only a marginal reduction - too late, too
little. Articles that are no longer published in the EMBO
journal, invariably end up in other journals (well over 80% at
least) and still have to be paid by the scientific community.

Cost per page for a site license is now around 90 c/p for a
typical large research university. For comparison, cost per page
for a site license to the Journal of Biological Chemistry (ASBMB)
is 9 c/p, for PNAS 11 c/p, for Molecular Biology of the Cell
(ASCB) 14 c/p, for Molecular Biology & Evolution (SMBE, Oxford
UP) 21 c/p, for Molecular and Cellular Biology (ASM) 26 c/p, The
Journal of Biochemistry (Oxford UP) 28 c/p, for RNA and Genes &
Development (Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press) 46 c/p resp.
58 c/p, for Journal of Cell Biology (Rockefeller UP) 60 c/p, for
Molecular Cell (Cell Press) a multiple of the price / page for
the print edition, 39 c/p, typically a factor 6 (234 c/p), for
Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry (Springer) 277 c/p, for
Nature Cell Biology 311 c/p, for Nature Structural and Molecular
Biology 355 c/p.

We probably could still not complain if the EMBO journal would
now provide clearly better value for money and get cited more
than before. Alas, according to all performance indicators I know
of, the EMBO journal has so far further fallen behind (most
journals brag with any recent increases in impact factor, EMBO
does not - guess why...). And while we wish EMBO all success with
its recently implemented changes and new initiatives, we clearly
feel deceived by the failure of EMBO and NPG to keep up to their
promises of 2006. If we had data to actually calculate revenue
per article, we would see that it has risen sharply. I doubt
whether that will convince funders that we see no "double
dipping" occur here; pricing of NPG is and has always been
opaque.

Authors are also double paying now, through page and colour
charges *and* EMBO OPEN publication charges on top of that. It is
an anachronism that the EMBO journal and EMBO reports are still
produced in print (according to NPG media data, circulation is
2200 for EMBO Journal, 1000 for EMBO reports), especially that
print is subsidized for personal subscribers at rather low levels
(USD 340 for EMBO journal, USD 156 for EMBO reports), partly
through advertising, but also through excessively priced academic
site licenses, while only a few dedicated libraries with special
archival collection duties can afford to main an archival print
copy at 3000 USD (or even 3000 EUR for European customers outside
UK) in addition to a site license. (The add-on cost for an
archival print copy on top of a site license increased from GBP
157 in 2006 to GBP 1878 in 2010, due to "decoupling of print and
online," while the price for a combined subscription increased by
a factor 3 - 5 (or, with the present 12,5% reduction, now 2,75 -
4,5) since 2003, the year before the takeover by NPG was
completed.) So please do away with print in order to get some
real savings that can be passed on to libraries.

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library

P.S.: The Author Pays Hybrid Model - FAQs for Librarians and
Subscription Agents (Jan 2009), URL:
http://www.nature.com/libraries/site_licenses/faqs.pdf says:

What will happen to the subscription prices of these journals in
2009? Print subscription prices will not be affected. Site
license prices will be adjusted in line with the amount of
subscription content published annually and this will be
monitored throughout the year.

I just checked what happened to the print prices for 2010.

"Print subscription prices will not be affected," the NPG press
release said. At least not in the sense that price increases are
moderated. Au contraire. Apparently, the publisher hedges against
possible losses (?) through the hybrid model by starting with a
generous extra price increase (20%) for print in 2010. This
affects 8 NPG owned titles out of the 12 journals new in the
program: CGT, GENE, IJIR, JESEE, JHH, MP, PCAN, TPJ. Only one
other NPG Academic Journal not in the program shows such a price
increase in print for 2010, namely Gene Therapy. Perhaps this
journal is going to join the program for 2010.

Price increases for Print for the other NPG academic journals for
2010 are identical to their site license price increases and
range from 2% to 9% (median 4%, average 5%).

****