Re: Critique of OA metric

I think it worth considering whether we are talking about the
review process (which is where we started out) or the editorial
process.  In my experience as author and reviewer, editors seldom
review, but instead rely on ("oversee" might be a more palatable
term) peer review provided by authors.  I second the request for
lurking editors to speak up at this point!

The review process has two components: validity filter (is the
science sound?) and quality filter (is the science "sexy", worthy
of this fine journal, etc?).  The editorial process seems rather
more complex, just as you describe.  For this reason and because
I have never been an editor, I am focusing on review and the
desirability of clearly and explicitly delineating its two
components.

But since you bring editors into the mix, let me continue your
analogy: why would I let you (an editor) choose my meal (my
reading) for me?  When journals were printed objects and
information delivery required physical delivery, there was
tremendous value added by an editor who could, by creative
action, make his or her journal into a comprehensive overview of
the most important aspects of the field.  Now that scientists
have search engines at their fingertips, there is much less need
to rely on such editorial oversight.

That's not to say that such oversight is no longer valuable -- I
still appreciate some expert guidance on which wine to pair with
which meal, or whether I am likely to enjoy a dish I have never
tried.  But there's a limit to how willing I am to express that
appreciation with money, now that I can read the whole menu for
myself (and "Fine Dining Magazine" on my iPhone besides).

The analogy wears thin, so let me be clearer: I think that
digital delivery and search have rendered the creative aspects of
an editor's job somewhat obsolete, since they can be partly
replaced by search and recommendation algorithms.  Opinions will
of course differ on the weight to be accorded my "somewhat" and
"partly", there; my point is that journals which trade on their
reputation for such creative work (the quality of their editorial
oversight) can expect customers to ask increasingly pointed
questions about the basis for that reputation, and just how much
we should be paying for it.

This is the value (to me, as a consumer) of separating validity
and quality filters: I am happy to pay for the former, but anyone
who wants me to pay for the latter must convince me it's worth
the price they're asking.

(At the risk of being targeted by People for the Ethical
Treatment of Analogies, let me finally suggest that I am no
longer stuck in a single restaurant, but instead have
instantaneous room service: to the extent that I want or need
help in choosing my meal, why would I not prefer that such help
take into account *all* the fare available in *all* the
restaurants there are?  One of the ways that editorial creativity
might regain some of its former value is perhaps by casting a
wider net: if all published work had passed only the validity
filter, there might be a place for an overarching quality filter
-- the scientific equivalent of an investment advisor, where what
the customer is investing is his or her time and attention.)

  Bill.