Re: Critique of OA metric

> There is a difference in the kind of review accorded the PLOS
> flagship publications and PLOS One.

I agree; but that difference has nothing to do with scientific
validity -- which is, to my mind, what is implied by saying that
one is less rigorous than the other.

> You can come up with any terms that you like to
> describe that difference

In an earlier email I came up with "quality filter" and "validity
filter"; they don't exactly trip off the tongue, I admit, but
they have the virtue of not conflating two very different aspects
of the review process.

I agree with you that this is not a trivial issue, so it is worth
taking the time to find and use precise language when discussing
it.

Bill