RE: DeepDyve thread

I agree.  I think the reaction and judgment so far has been
hasty.

DeepDyve is currently targeting a non-institutional market.  One
value-add is the discovery interface for folks who don't have
access to a library interface or a library-souped google
interface -- a good idea given their market.  When, occasionally,
an article is $.99 through DeepDyve and free at the publisher
site, their argument is that the user is paying for the discovery
layer.  I think this would have been a nice resource when I was
working in market research since we often needed to do literature
searches.

This could work in an academic setting potentially (if centrally
billed on IP range access).  As university libraries
follow-through on cancellation projects in this budget year and
probably next, it would be nice if there was a way to continue
providing access to library patrons.  Would seem to be a good
idea for publishers insofar as they'd retain some income, rather
than none, though that argument applies best to low use journals.
For high-use journals, some publishers might be tentative, though
bigger brands will have higher usage, so higher income.
Libraries, for their part, would want access to go through the
library's discovery interface, so that patrons don't accidentally
rent articles the library has already bought.

I contacted them to find out more.  They will be adding more
publishers over time, so we'll see what comes next -- I think
they'll become more compelling as they add content.

-Nat