From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Stevan Harnad
Sent: 30 October 2009 18:42
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: DeepDyve - 99 cent article rentals

> DeepDyve - iTunes comes to Science Publishing
> http://j.mp/tZIdF

I'm surprised PLoS would agree to provide its content as part of
the perks for a pay-per-view scheme. This gives "re-use" a whole
new dimension.

DeepDyve is of course doomed (by OA), but OA is going about its
inevitable destiny so glacially slowly that there's probably time
for a few bucks to be made out of this absurd scheme (motivated
by the equally absurd pricing practices of classical
pay-per-view).

Just surprised to see PLoS along for the ride. (Since they make
no money out of it, it is presumably for the sake of eyeballs,
but they're reaching those current eyeballs at the cost of
prolonging the darkness for far more future ones. It's not even
like a pay-to-pollute scheme, in that it's not self-limiting but
self-perpetuating...

Stevan Harnad