status of the arXive

Dear List:

Let me adress a question of the status of the arXive:
http://arxiv.org/

"arXiv is an e-print service in the fields of physics,
mathematics, non-linear science, computer science, quantitative
biology and statistics. The contents of arXiv conform to Cornell
University academic standards. arXiv is owned, operated and
funded by Cornell University, a private not-for-profit
educational institution. arXiv is also partially funded by the
National Science Foundation."

Recently the editors of HTR (Harvard Theological Review) rejected
my paper because it was published with arXive.

My arguments are that arXive is just a "repository" and "not
refereed" and hence cannot be considered as proper publication.
Besides, arXive in fact encourages further publication in the
solid journals.

HTR says in response that everyone now can read my paper - since
it is visible by Google. Therefore it was rejected.

What about news that Harvard joined OA? Or is it just fiction?

Ari Belenkiy
Bar-Ilan University
ISRAEL