RE: Critique of OA metric

<<If you don't believe this, try it.  Create a Web site (it takes
two minutes) using a blogging service such as WordPress.  Post an
article to it.  Post another article (or the same one) to an
established online venue.  The article in the established venue
will show up higher in search engine rankings.>>

Of course, your experiment only works as such in the first month,
depending on other factors, though the ranking algorithm will
include measures of how many like-resources are linked to your
website, the length of time the website has been around, the
number of times that specific website has been chosen from among
results, and so on.  While these kinds of measures strongly favor
established venues in the short run, there are means for new
venues to gain attention and to begin appearing in top results,
usually through indexing services and linking (other shortcut SEO
measures generally backfire), but best of all by updating
periodically or frequently with substance on subject.

Ranking algorithms are always evolving and are, of course,
well-guarded, but I see results changing all the time.  For
searches by keyword to subject or area (and you can test this
with new journals that have appeared in the past 5 years), I
don't think earlier established venues are favored at all, at
least not in my experience searching for literature.  In fact, I
choose to use Google sometimes because it will get me outside of
the box.

I've heard reports that the new library discovery interfaces will
tend to do a better job of finding good results than the generic
engines, but haven't had the opportunity to test yet.  Brings up
an interesting thought however -- in the absence of metadata
indicating resource-level substance and quality, will the
collection become more prominent (i.e. since I'm getting this
using the library's discovery interface or because the Google
Scholar results show my school branding, I know it is good...).

Next gen library systems are expected to pay a great deal more
attention to the new variety of electronic resources (aside from
just articles), to include flexibility in metadata, to include
recommender services, to push services based on major, etc. and
so on, so resource consumption could become more context driven
and less blind.  Stay tuned til next week.

-Nat