RE: Costs of publishing a journal

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and information.

My personal standpoint is that training costs can be high or low,
but it is almost always dependent on the culture of the
organization and the people available.  The software learning
curve was minimal for me or my co-interns, but we all took some
pride in our tech-savvy, so the case might be different in other
environments.  Admittedly, the system does not do all the work --
again , that's up to the "volunteers", but the system took many
of the administrative steps away and that work can add up if
there is correspondence or other kinds of interactions involved.

I worked as both an intern for an academic journal and as a
free-lancer for a commercial b2b magazine (doing some of the same
things) while going to school to transition from a business
environment to an academic environment. While the commercial
magazine clearly did as much as they could to hold down costs and
stressed productivity in training and assessment, my feeling
looking back is that they just couldn't compete with the academic
journal published by a university or library.  Aside from paying
the boss, the assistants, the free-lancers, the infrastructure
(office, overhead, and politics, though we used an open source
content management tool there for a piece of the workflow), and
seeking profit, I don't think they could get the same
contribution from the people.  I always take a great deal of
pride in my work, and I was frequently praised for turning in the
most error-free pages per time unit among the people doing the
same kind of work, but while working for the academic journal, we
all did a little more because that's what we wanted to be doing
-- or at least that's my rosy impression from this vantage ...
and I'll admit I'm already nostalgic about the time I took to go
back to school.

Anyway, for one or a few journals, I don't see how an academic
journal could avoid being lower cost, but for more titles, there
would need to be an office with at least one administrative
person holding it all together, so the overhead would start to
rise (and once overhead starts to accumulate, it is very
difficult to hold back without the right culture).  Of course,
you're right that I've simply shifted some costs under other
shells, but many such fees (hosting, etc.) would be incremental
or multi-purpose in an academic environment.  With regard to the
real cost (people time), my experience as a business manager is
that happy people can always do more if you ask for more
periodically (allowing time for "digestion"), if you utilize
fractions of their time, if you give them stuff that is
interesting (or at least mix it up), and if you show them how to
be more efficient (or even just give them that opportunity by
talking with them more), so a smallish venture could potentially
be absorbed among the existing costs of the paid workers, given a
handful of librarians or other staff contributing <30% of their
time -- and we've already discussed the costs of the work of the
editors, etc.  Or anyway, I've seen one person handle two
journals, a full teaching load, part-time librarian
responsibilities, and otherwise lead a full life, but he was (is)
a highly capable individual.

I think you're right that permanent staff will likely be more
efficient at many things, so long as the organization doesn't
hold onto foot-draggers, but grad students can be surprising in
what skills they bring, generation after generation and, if this
were a new venture , I'd be very interested to see the cultural
impact among the permanent staff asked to help out.  There was a
social networking study way back when social networking meant the
human to human kind of interaction which showed that people who
have contact with more and different kinds of people within an
organization tend to offer the most ideas/ innovations.

I wouldn't want to generalize too much, though, since I think so
much depends on culture and people, so I suspect there will be
lean, effective approaches, as well as ineffective approaches, in
any environment, regardless of whether or not there are natural
advantages.

-Nat