RE: Critique of OA metric

It is simple to conceive of a decoupling between the journal
'quality' brand (is the research correct?) and the journal
'alerting' brand (here is a group of articles that may be of
interest to you) as described by Sally.  In the print world
grouping papers thematically together made perfect sense; in the
online world where people increasing use search engines (whether
specific, like Medline, or general, like Google) to find papers
it is perhaps less useful.

So, a journal table of contents e-mail may be useful, but equally
I may be more interested in seeing the daily digest of papers
with a particular tag in Connotea, say. That way the community
would define its own interests rather than having the collection
codified by an editor.  And different communities could combine
the content of different journals in different ways.  This to me
is what PLoS One has done - provide the quality brand, but leave
the 'what's this journal about' to the readers.  It seems
inevitable (and was once titles and abstracts went online!) that
the 'alerting' brand is going to become less and less within the
control of publishers and more in the control of users.

David

David Prosser
SPARC Europe