Re: Pay for peers (Re: Costs of publishing a journal)

Some of the economics journals pay for a review that is timely.
Once you've agreed to do a review, getting $60 for doing it
within six weeks can speed things up.  I've never seen an
evaluation of the effectiveness of this practice, although it's
the kind of thing that economists like to study.

-----------------------------
Paul N. Courant
University Librarian and Dean of Libraries
Harold T. Shapiro Collegiate Professor
    of Public Policy
Professor of Economics and of Information
The University of Michigan

On 10/26/09 7:14 PM, "Rick Anderson" <rick.anderson@utah.edu> wrote:

> For scholarly journals, I understand the standard practice is
> NOT to pay peer reviewers at all. I would be interested in
> hearing from other publishers on this list if any of them know
> of journals for which peer reviewers receive payment, in cash
> or in kind (free subscription?).

I've done peer review for a number of scholarly journals, and the
only one that has offered me anything like compensation is
Elsevier.  I get 30 days of free access to Scopus every time I
review a paper for them -- though it's apparently intended mainly
as a help to the reviewing process, not as a sweetener to the
invitation.

Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dir. for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library
Univ. of Utah
rick.anderson@utah.edu