From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Bill Hooker
Sent: 26 October 2009 23:21
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Growth for STM publishers in 2008

> If PLOS One does not ask its reviewers to do the impossible,
> does that imply that the PLOS flagship journals do in fact ask
> its reviewers to do the impossible?

Indeed it does, to my way of thinking.  I would not pay the extra
$1400 or so to publish in PLoS Biology -- what more do I get for
that money than PLoS ONE offers me?  My work faces the same
degree of scientific scrutiny at both journals, and if accepted,
on publication achieves the same universal accessibility.  Let
history judge its utility or, if one must have a number, count
downloads and citations for my papers directly rather than
accepting something so nebulous as journal reputation as a proxy
for the quality of my work.

What I get for the $1400 is, of course, that boost to my
reputation which derives from the widespread perception that PB
is the "better" journal, but since I think that perception is
false it follows that I also think that value is spurious, and to
pay for it is short-sighted. To chase after journal prestige (and
fixate on Thomson-Reuters' proprietary measure of same) is to
play into the hands of for-profit enterprise.

Don't get me wrong: I don't[1] grudge publishers their profit;
but equally, I don't feel any obligation to help them make it. If
a publisher wants to claim that their system allows them
accurately to predict the future, making their brand a reliable
proxy for the downstream scientific utility of the papers they
publish and thereby justifying higher prices than other journals
might charge, let them support their claim empirically.  Show me
the data.

(Perhaps I have just set myself up for egg on the face: perhaps
the data do exist, showing clearly how journal prestige relates
to publication quality -- after all, one would suppose that
journals which trade heavily on their reputations would have been
collecting such information for years.  Honestly, I'll be so
pleased to see the data that I won't mind the egg.)

In the absence of any such evidence, I continue to believe that
journal prestige is useful only to publishers, and authors should
pay it no mind.  Let journals compete on the basis of more
concrete offerings: price, typesetting quality, archiving,
proofreading, etc etc.

B.

[1]there are exceptions, but let's not go there.