Pay for peers (Re: Costs of publishing a journal)

> For scholarly journals, I understand the standard practice is
> NOT to pay peer reviewers at all. I would be interested in
> hearing from other publishers on this list if any of them know
> of journals for which peer reviewers receive payment, in cash
> or in kind (free subscription?).

I've done peer review for a number of scholarly journals, and the
only one that has offered me anything like compensation is
Elsevier.  I get 30 days of free access to Scopus every time I
review a paper for them -- though it's apparently intended mainly
as a help to the reviewing process, not as a sweetener to the
invitation.

--
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dir. for Scholarly Resources & Collections