Re: Changing the game

If Mickey Mantle and an umpire were on a raft and one had to die,
I'm pretty sure 99% of baseball fans would save Mantle.  And yet
without the umpire there's no game; sometimes you don't realize
the value of people until they aren't there.  Editors, like
umpires, are most unnoticed when they do their job well.  Which,
I suppose, is why some folks have no appreciation for what good
editing adds to scholarship.

Let me attempt a very brief explanation.  You might be the
world's most ingenious scientist, designing incredibly
imaginative and productive experiments.  You also might not be
able to write your way out of a paper bag.  The two talents don't
necessarily go hand in hand (not many editors are brilliant
researchers either).  But if you can't communicate your ideas,
how much impact can they have?  Think of it this way.  I can
observe from an infant's behavior what she wants or what's wrong,
but it's a heck of a lot easier a couple of years later when she
can use words effectively to tell me.  And my subsequent actions
can be a lot more precise.

It would be nice if we could not denigrate people's livelihoods
and contributions while discussing the interesting issues on this
listserv.  Fact is, we all need each other.

Alex Holzman
Director
Temple University Press
Philadelphia, PA 19122