RE: Changing the game

I took a peek at Sandy's text, but recoiled because I have more
urgent 16-page texts to read. Nonetheless, I will make two simple
little remarks regarding the text. The first point will take aim
at the exalted vision of the editor as presented by Sandy. The
second point tries to make a small comment on a text written by a
self-respecting (and respected) editor.

1. The following quotation will be enough for this point: "Just
as editors can help shape the cultural agenda by forging links
among people and ideas, so too can they influence the direction
of scholarship by stimulating the production of certain kinds of
writing." The quotation at the end of the "linker" section says
much the same thing in even more assertive manner. Now, let us
ask a question: imagine Einstein and an editor on a raft, and one
has to die to let the other survive. Whom shall we choose? I
suspect this takes care of that claim, once and for all.

2. The editorial point has to do with the word "meiotic". Now,
English is not my first language, so I was cautious when I came
across the following passage: "Editors ... play a meiotic role in
making connections among different strands of intellectual
development." To me, meiosis means cellular division in biology.
So I checked a couple dictionaries I have on hand (and, echoing
another remark made to Joe Esposito earlier, I must confess I
have not read my dictionaries entirely, or even all that
significantly, but they are quite handy all the same). Sure
enough, meiosis means division, so that connecting by dividing
became a deep mystery for me. There is however a second meaning
to meiosis that I did not know at all: understatement, lowering
diminishing. But I was baffled as to why an editor should want to
act meiotically with respect to an author. It did not make sense
to me until I realized that Sandy's entire text was indeed a
meiotic operation on the authors to provide, by comparison, an
elevated, even exalted, vision of the editor.

I must confess that this discovery made me very happy indeed. My
vocabulary has increased and I finally understood what Sandy was
after. Thank you for being so transparent, Sandy, but, given the
more usual sense of meiosis, beware, as a good editor, that your
meaning might catch many by surprise. Some might even believe
that you made an inappropriate use of the word "meiotic".

There would be so much more to say about Sandy's little piece,
but I will conclude by saying that my vision of editorship for
research results aiming at feeding further research is that its
functions are quite limited indeed.

Now for novels, and essays, and the stuff sold in bookstores, but
of course...

Jean-Claude Guedon