Hybrid Journal pricing (II): when and by how much will we see EMBO prices decrease?

Hybrid Journal pricing (II): when and by how much will we see
EMBO prices decrease?

OUP to NPG in 2003/04, research libraries suffered from an
excessive price hike by a factor 2 or more. In Dec 2006 EMBO &
NPG announced the availability of an Open access option for
authors (EMBO Open). Also, it was announced that the site license
pricing model for the EMBO package would move to a mixed revenue
model if subscription charges and publication fees, with the site
license price to be adjusted adjusted "in line with the amount of
subscription content published annually".

Based on an analysis of EMBO's publication output 2001 -- 2009
from both journals, we find that -- as the net result of a
decrease in the total number of published articles and an
increase in the number of articles published and paid for under
the EMBO Open program, a decrease in the amount of subscription
content published annually of 17% in 2007 (relative to 2006), and
29% in 2008 (relative to 2007, or even 42% relative to 2006). On
the other hand, for 2009, as a result of editorial policy changes
made by EMBO (they have increased the number of invited
commentaries and commissioned review articles, also those
assembled in focus issues), we predict an increase of 24% for
2009 relative to 2008, but still a 27% decrease relative to 2006.

EMBO Open uptake for original articles itself started at 4% in
2007, and is now around 15% (value for 2008 was 16%, estimate for
2009 is 14%). Total estimated revenue from EMBO Open publication
fees for 2007 -- 2009 has already surpassed GBP 200,000. EMBO /
NPG failed to make a price adjustment for 2009; we now expect
that they stick to their promise from Dec 2006 and finally lower
their site license price by about 1/3. Since the first adjustment
was left out, an upward adjustment for 2011 should not be
necessary and the price could remain the same as the adjusted
price for 2010. Apart from this compensatory measure, we do not
believe that year to year fluctuations should be "averaged out",
as this would make pricing intransparent and set a wrong market
signal. If publishers like NPG/EMBO do not keep their promise to
adjust their pricing in response to increased OA uptake and
published output, we in effect have an additional revenue model,
not a mixed revenue model. In this case, universities who have
installed an open access fund, should indeed ask themselves
whether such journals should not be excluded from their gold OA
funding on a matter of principle.

For the full paper, cf.

http://www.ub.uni-stuttgart.de/ejournals/Hybrid_journal_pricing_EMBO.doc

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library