Re: Building Journal Collections

Nawin,

The Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) Education
and Behavioral Sciences Section (EBSS)'s "Psychology Committee"
is currently working on a new "core list" for psychology. A
previous edition of the list, produced in 2007, is available
online. A new methodology of creating the list, using more
metrics and a new approach is being investigated currently by the
committee. A conference presentation in Seattle last year (ACRL
2009) elicited feedback from librarians and publishers regarding
continuing interest in the compilation of a core list for
psychology. As our committee is made up of practicing psychology
librarians, there is great interest in any lists that can be used
for collection assessment and journal acquisition purposes in
academic libraries. We realize that publishers would have
interest in representation on such a list as well.

As librarians responsible for disciplinary collections and
services, core lists still have their place in our toolkit. Our
work will take into account all journals regardless of business
model and may highlight new open access journals of interest.
This is a work in progress. The previous edition of the list is
available here:

http://my.ilstu.edu/~brstoff/ebss/psycjournals107.htm

There is not one source of such lists, and even though
Brandon-Hill will no longer be updated as such, another group may
decide to produce a similar list, or have another way of looking
at such a tool. Often the concept of "core" journal lists might
be conflated with the "journal ranking lists" that prospective
authors are always seeking from libraries (especially in all the
subject areas not covered adequately by Journal Citation Reports'
impact factor lists). Our interest is in a "core list" for
acadmemic library collections purposes.

Our committee will most likely publish this list online in some
fashion. We welcome any feedback.

Thank you,

Laura Bowering Mullen
Behavioral Sciences Librarian
Library of Science and Medicine
on behalf of the ACRL EBSS Psychology Committee