Re: Thanks to three list members

I am skeptical about the idea of getting more people "connected"
to libraries as a solution to the access problem.  There are
quite a few direct-to-consumer services being developed now,
which bypass libraries altogether.  Firms are creating
aggregations of scholarly material and new subscription models
for individuals.  The enterprise model--libraries--is gradually
yielding territory to direct marketing.

But my real disagreement is with JCG, who believes that Toby's
figures suggest that there is more interest in books than is
reflected in purchases. This is one of the arguments for open
access, but whatever the merits (or inevitability) of open
access, it seems to me that the situation is precisely the
opposite, that there are more purchases than interest.

The librarians on this list are invited to consult their own
circulation records for those books that have never circulated,
but I invite JCG to join me on one of my regular trips to my
marvelous local bookstore, Bookshop Santa Cruz.  Santa Cruz is a
nuclear-free zone, so there is nothing to fear.

If JCG is like me and the other 2 or 3 dozen people in the store,
he will stop at the front table and pick up a book or two, noting
the names of the authors who will be coming to read at the shop.
He will make his way to the new nonfiction table, read some
jacket copy, put some books down and pick some others up.  He
will cast a guilty glance at "The Lost Symbol," knowing that he
should be ashamed to enjoy it.  Overall he may pick up and glance
at a couple dozen books and perhaps walk out with one.

If this were online, every one of those glances, those idle
musings, would register as a download. Ah!  Interest!  I
sometimes pick up a book just to be able to read the title
better--a download.  There was a period of about ten years when I
worked in trade publishing that I literally had read 2-3 pages of
every single book that appeared on the New York Times bestseller
list.  Downloads, every single one of them.  But I could count
the number of bestsellers I have ever read on the fingers of one
hand.

The problem with the notion that there is pent-up demand for
material is that it assumes an infinite capability to consume.
If you take a survey and ask people, Wouldn't you like to read
"Finnegan's Wake," you get the answer: "Yeah, sure."  All those
downloads, but very few readers.  One of the founders of a
prominent open access publisher was quoted by a reporter a while
back to the effect that for his discipline, he had to read 700
journals.  All of them?  Every single article?  All those
downloads.

The survey I would like to conduct is of the people on this list.
How many books does each individual currently own but has not
(yet) read?  That's the measure of the gap between desire and
achievement.  That's the land of open access.

Joe Esposito