From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Jean-Claude Guedon
Sent: 13 October 2009 01:22
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Thanks to three list members

Many thanks to Sandy, Toby and Joe for informative, full and very
interesting answers to my remarks. Although I study publishing as
intensely as I can, I am not involved in the day-to-day
operations of a press. As a result, I certainly cannot (and would
not) claim the kind of expertise we just read in the three notes
I am referring to. Thanks again.

The relationship between OA electronic versions of books and
actual sales of paper is the crucial point, I believe. Obviously,
the numbers provided by Toby show that the number of people
interested by (some) books is hugely superior to the number of
buyers. This is, after all, one of the rationales behind research
libraries. This difference in numbers also says something about
the brakes on knowledge a toll-gated model of diffusion imposes,
and it would be interesting to try quantifying it in some manner.
But it also brings to mind the fact that a digital document lends
itself to *conscious* modes of reading. Some "reading" is really
a way of retrieving information, checking a fact, or checking the
exact nature of a particular argument, as well as the nature of
its supporting evidence. It is interesting to note that Google
offers digital documents that can only be read in the banal sense
of the word (and essentially on screen, because printing page
images is painfully slow). Google reserves other possibilities of
reading to themselves and they make money through their ad sense
model. In effect, they achieve what Cliff Lynch has warned
against: a form of open access without open computation.

Now, it seems to me that some degree of OA is better than none
(this is what makes the Google agreement so complex to
disentangle). In parallel, it also seems to me that some
computational possibilities can be given out while other
possibilities can be retained for revenue. This is reminiscent of
"some rights retained" in the Creative Commons world. In short,
what I am suggesting is that a good research project could
probably help develop a business plan that would offer both OA
and revenue, the latter coming more from added services
(exploitation of some of the computational potential of digital
documents) than from ads - academic works, almost by definition,
are esoteric and, therefore, run contrary to mass methods of
financing. The result would be OA texts with some open
computational capabilities added, and a few more retained for
revenue purposes.

Again, experiments like the OAPEN project can be very useful in
this regard.

Jean-Claude Guedon