RE: Changing the game

Just a few additional comments, if I may--and thanks for the
clarification about the $8,000, Jean-Claude.

Here are the basic facts about digital printing vs. offset
printing. Because of the setup costs for the machinery, offset
printing was traditionally not economical for printruns below
500. When digital printing began to provide competition to
traditional offset printers, they lowered their prices, and it
makes sense--if you want the highest quality--to print your
initial 300-500 cloth run by offset. (Many offset printers also
added digital to compete for the business.)

For paperbacks, especially if you are unsure of the market for
course adoption, it is less risky to use digital printing because
one can start off with relatively modest printruns, say, 100 or
200 copies, to "test the market"; in the industry, this is known
as SRDP (short-run digital printing).

Pure POD comes into play when sales drop below a certain annual
level (presses set this threshold at different levels); then a
digital file exists at a place like Lightning Source, and copies
are printed on demand only, with no existing inventory kept
(unless there are returns from bookstores). Although in theory
with digital printing the unit cost for copies does not change
with larger quantities, as it does with offset, in fact the
processing charges still make it less expensive to print 100 or
200 copies digitally all at once than to do them POD, one at a
time.

So there are still some economies of scale at work with digital
printing, though much less dramatically so than with offset
printing.  So, at our Press (and many other presses these days),
books go through a life cycle of a first cloth printing in
offset, an initial paperback printing with SRDP, and then POD at
the end--indefinitely, by the way, so that publishers are right
to claim that no book needs to go out of print anymore.

As for OA versions generating sales of POD copies, well, that is
what we have been counting on for our Romance Studies series
books, which are far more typical scholarly monographs than
Benkler's book that Jean-Claude offers as an example.  Whatever
success a few high-profile authors like Benkler and Larry Lessig
may have had with OA texts generating hard-copy sales, it is
certainly premature to predict that the same will be true for the
vast majority of scholarly monographs. Wishful thinking will not
make it so!

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press