Re: Changing the game

"Public, European,
>money is behind OAPEN. In short, a new form of competition is rising"

Up to a point Lord Copper. It looks like the grant was about $700,000 split
among half a dozen university presses, for 30 months - its not clear whether
that $700,000 is the total amount or an annual amount, either way, its not
huge; and unless the EU is back in the business of breaking its own rules to
benefit its buddies, grants made under econtentplus are matching funds, ie to
get the $700,000 the university presses would have had to have come up with
that amount themselves to put into the project. Did they do that? Quite how
$1.4m is consumed in stuff like 'building platforms' and all the rest of the
vague EU-speak used to describe OAPEN, it would be interesting to know. It's
never clear what the EU is doing, or why - it probably itself doesn't know, but
to suggest that the EU is funding open access publishing is at this stage a
suggestion too far.

Bill Hughes
Director
Multi-Science Publishing