RE: Changing the game

You may be confusing AAUP-member presses with presses like the
University Press of America or Edwin Mellen Press. I know of no
examples of the kinds of upfront payments you cite required by
AAUP-member presses. We do, of course, at times require authors to
get subsidies from their parent universities, foundations, etc. At
Penn State Press, about 90% of our authors receive royalties from
sales.