Re: Changing the game

If subsidization is all "part of the game," then I'd ask
Jean-Claude to explain to us why the 80 or so U.S. universities
that have presses expect them, on average, to cover 90% of their
operating costs from revenues generated in the marketplace--which
is, of course, the principal reason that books published by these
presses will not go OA en masse anytime soon. And perhaps he can
also explain why there are only this small handful of presses
that are actually paying for the system of publishing scholarly
monographs whereas all the rest get a "free ride."  Ideals are
fine to aspire to, but for now we still have a very messy, and
commercialized, world to deal with.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State Press