RE: PLOS article metrics

I agree with Joe Esposito that PLoS One is blazing a trail of
initial peer review-light.  However, he misses the continuing
peer review which takes place in their open commentary system.

The PLoS One model strikes me as a streamlined version of the
dual publication, draft paper followed by open peer review and
open commentary, in turn followed by final, polished publication
model pioneered by the European Geosciences Union with, among
others, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions
<www.atmos-chem-phys-discuss.net/>/Atmospheric Chemistry and
Physics <http://www.atmos-chem-phys.org/>.  A similar economics
dual journal exists, Economics Discussion Papers/Economics
<http://www.economics-ejournal.org/>.

The value of extended, pre-publication peer review may be a
question in light of these innovative models, but the value of
review by the authors peers does not appear to be in doubt.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library
California Institute of Technology
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681