RE: PLOS article metrics

Universities and libraries must make investment decisions all the
time and there is nothing mutually exclusive about seeking more
open scholarly communications/ finding new ways to add value and
also thinking about how best to invest.  Since there are lots of
different people working in lots of different departments, in
both libraries and universities, many goals can be pursued at
once.  My own view is that you can't do one without the other.

I think Heather is generally right that subscribers should think
about where their money goes and what they get in return,
although if a commercial publisher can provide good value and
make profits, as many do, then that's great so long as the
formula holds.  Commercial publishers have a big head start on OA
publishers, so some titles have accrued a lot of value simply
because they've been around for a long time (these are the titles
where it is most prestigious to publish and tend to charge the
most for subs).  That kind of value won't disappear overnight.
But, as the citation analysis wars of the early 21st century
showed us, OA publishers have been very competitive on other
fronts and, in some fields, OA venues have even become as or more
prestigious than the commercial options.  I'm also aware of many
OA venues without any marketing (at least, not the kind that
costs them $), although those titles have managed to build up
great reputations and usage, so there does seem to be some
evidence of an efficiency advantage there.

On a nearby listserv, the buzz yesterday was about how the price
of a certain title has increased, where $40 subs have gone to
$299 for print or $1000 or more for online simply due to a change
of publishers.  This kind of increase will trigger many 'little'
decisions.  Is that title really needed? Does it offer something
unique, or can the same/ similar be found elsewhere? (As it
happens, this particular title is basically just a re-packager of
info - so honestly, a good set of subject-related blogs might do
the job as well or better.)  And so on.  There will be some
cancellations, while I'd guess most libraries will retain the sub
simply due to inertia or, perhaps, the title happens to be more
popular than other options.  Any money freed up might go to
something else.

In some cases, outrage might translate to other kinds of action.
Some savvy reference librarians or electronic resource librarians
might find ways to make similar content available at less cost or
for free, say, by seeking out, vetting, and providing links to
the blogs I mentioned (many of which are 'published' by the same
people in academia who also write scholarly articles or act as
peer reviewers for journals on the subjects being re-packed by
this title).  This might lead to further overhauls of pathfinders
or web pages, so services get boosted as well (and best practices
inch up a notch to cascade later).  An OA publisher or student
group or university/ library dept. might see the opportunity and
jump in to build a competing venue -- probably not in this
particular case given the fact that I don't think it would be
worthwhile, but in other cases, we see competing venues popping
up all the time.  Next year, more libraries or other subscribers
might see the sense in cancelling.  The wheel will keep going
round.  Lots of different people will be playing lots of
different parts, many of which involve investment decisions.

This is a small/ everyday example, but might be easier to follow
than the stories of the big initiatives by folks at the
University of California or Harvard or wherever, although I think
those initiatives involve many of the same component issues.
The point is that investment decisions (of money, of time or
service) by many different players are inextricably linked with
service improvements and, in some situations, the for-profit
option is being eliminated (cancelled and replaced), along the
lines of what Heather says below, as a result of competition.
Personally, I think the churn is exactly what we need right now.