PLOS article metrics correction: greed, not profit

Recently, I wrote:

This is an excellent argument for eliminating the for-profit
sector from scholarly publishing.  As things stand, some of the
mega- publishers are already taking in profit margins of 30% or
higher; once you add in taxes, that's at least 50% of revenue
spent without a dime going to anything having to do with
scholarship.  That's not even taking into account sales lobbying,
etc.!  Add to this even more money going to aggressive marketing,
and the percentage of the academic library budget that actually
goes to scholarly aims will be very small indeed.

Correction:  this should have read "eliminating the greedy sector
from scholarly publishing".  There are many responsible
for-profit publishers, open access and subscription-based alike.
If this describes your journal or organiztion, my apologies; your
continuing participation in scholarly communication is most
welcome.  If you are subscription-based, I wish you every success
in the transition to open access.

Definition of greedy?  Profit margins of in the range of 30%
(almost unheard of for businesses), revenue and profit increases
when customers around the world are hurting.

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com