Re: PLOS article metrics

Heather, Quite the opposite. The consequence of open access is:
free the data, build the services. This is the mantra of
everything digital. It isn't about running down investment in
publishing services, but about enabling opportunities to provide
value in new forms. Search-based enterprise has been pretty
successful elsewhere.

Investment decisions are for others. Freeing the content is the
concern of the academy. If we mix up the two, imposing dismal
economics and minimal prospects of returns, we won't get the
services that open access inherently ought to motivate. In that
situation it would not be surprising if potential supporters of
open access saw better alternatives.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk