Re: Something from the New Yorker about Google Book Search

And I would add that the BISAC codes may be fine for trade
publishers but do not function at all well for scholarly book
publishers. I tried to express my concerns to the Book Industry
Study Group, which oversees the BISAC code process, some time
ago, but was told that in order to have any objections taken into
account, our Press would have to join BISG, at a cost of some
$2,000, as I recall.  BISG, of course, is headed by Michael
Healy, who has been chosen to head the new Book Registry
envisioned under the Google Settlement, so don't expect the BISAC
code mess to be cleaned up anytime soon!

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State Press