Re: US consumer purchase of international editions

Toby,

This is one of those areas where the vision and the reality are
very far apart. A global copyright regime at this time (yes,
times change) would actually reduce distribution of books and
other published material.

Why this should be so is that the bulk of formally published
information at this time is (a) still in book form (b) still in
print and (c) targeted primarily to consumers.  If it were
otherwise, that is, if we were talking about academic "papers" or
scientific datasets--or for that matter, corporate data, such as
market research reports--we could throw geographical rights
issues out the window.  But most publications are sold in bricks
and mortar stores, not from a Web site.  It is hard for people
who work with digital media all day to realize that Barnes &
Noble in the U.S. sells three times as many books as Amazon, and
even Borders, which has been reduced to a struggling enterprise,
is selling perhaps half again what Amazon sells. Outside of
mobile markets, the U.S. has the highest percentage of digital
sales anywhere.  I am reminded of William Gibson's wisecrack, to
the effect that the future is already here; it's just not evenly
distributed.

Since publishing is still largely a print and bricks-and-mortar
activity, those geographical rights issues are important.  I
doubt Random House has much of a distribution mechanism in
Thailand, or that Bloomsbury is doing blockbuster business with
its own sales force in Paraguay. These geographical rights issues
are going to be with us for some time.  Were they to disappear
before a fully digital infrastructure were in place, many books
simply wouldn't get beyond their home territory.

We can look forward to years, perhaps decades, of complicated,
frustrating copyright issues.  It will give us something to
do--paraphrasing Dylan, when we are tired of ourselves and
Facebook.

Joe Esposito