RE: US consumer purchase of international editions

This case is a wonderful illustration of something that has been
bothering me for some time. Next month, at the Frankfurt Book
Fair, rights managers from publishers around the world will be
making deals based on geographic territories. In a pre-Internet
age it made sense to let someone local handle a book's marketing
and distribution. However, in a world where ICT has
created/facilitated the Internet, POD and just-in-time business
models, I think this geographic-based business model is going to
fail. This is going to have big implications for the publishing
industry (and for Book Fairs) because consumers will not put up
with significant price differentials such as the one detailed
below when it is so easy today to learn about lower prices and to
purchase from low-priced markets.

Claudia asks from a copyright angle - how does one address this
question? In my view, quite simply. Any copyright owner now has
to consider the market from a global perspective, not as a series
of local markets. Boundaries will be marked, if at all, by
language, not by geography. This means changing distribution
arrangements - using local partners if necessary - under a global
copyright regime.

Of course, this is going to produce challenges. Costs are not the
same everywhere nor are purchasing powers (a US student might
afford $180, a Malaysian probably cannot - but then again, a US
student from a poor background may be less able to pay $50 than a
well-off Malaysian - reinforcing the point that geographic
boundaries are pretty artificial when it comes to markets!) so
prices won't be the same everywhere, but the gaps between them
will close. This is going to be a big challenge for book
publishers - a major cultural and operational shift. But it's
entirely possible, I would have thought. After all, the world's
scholarly journal and book publishers have been operating on a
global copyright basis for decades.

Toby Green