Re: Five Universities Sign Open Access Funding Compact

>From my perspective, this move is a key to a smooth and
successful transition to open access.  I encourage every library
and university to join.  Publishers who would like to move to
open access but and would like to see a smooth transition with
assurance of economic support would do well to encourage library
customers to sign on.

There is no immediate financial commitment required, rather a
commitment to develop models for equity for open access
publishing. It is this recognition of the university, through the
library, as the basic support for scholarly communication that
makes this a key step. Once we see that academic library budgets
as a key support for scholarly communication, it is easy to see
that there is no inherent reason to prioritize subscriptions over
support for open access.

Kudos to the initial signatories!

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com