Re: Scholarly communication, copyright, and fair use

But only authorized users can access database content, per the license
agreement. And only registered students in a class can access content in
e-reserves and a CMS, like Blackboard. If the university already pays
for this content, then we should not be requested (or required) to pay
for it twice. Granted the link to the article and not a pdf should be
included in the prof?s Blackboard account (although in the long run, why
does it matter). That requires the student to be authenticated through
the proxy server, as well as become familiar with that database.

I recently was told that even if we purchased electronic access to a
particular journal, the publisher would require us to pay copyright
royalties if articles from that journal were posted in an electronic
reserves account. I think not. No library would agree to this license
language.

Claudia Holland