From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: 18 August, 2009 11:10 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Scholarly communication, copyright, and fair use

If the library subscribes to journals in electronic form and
teachers provide URLs to the content paid for, publishers have no
objections. When libraries turn into subsidiary printing
operations and create many more copies of articles than they
purchased through subscription, that indeed exceeds what they
paid for and interferes with the market for the publishers'
products.

Sanford G. Thatcher
Executive Editor for Social Sciences and Humanities
Penn State University Press