Re: Scholarly communication, copyright, and fair use

I'll probably show my ignorance of the publishing world here, but
here goes anyway...

Sandy says that"income streams must be generated to pay the costs
[of peer review]. These streams include charges for use of
massive amounts of materials in course packs and e-reserve
systems like Georgia State's."

I understand the need for revenue streams to support the peer
revue process. But in cases where a library already subscribes to
the journals in question, isn't that sort of double-charging? An
institution pays for a subscription to a given journal, and then
pays again to use pieces of the same journal in electronic course
packs and e-reserves?

Bernie Sloan