JSTOR and University of California Press Announce Current Scholarship Program

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MEDIA CONTACTS

JSTOR
Heidi McGregor
VP, Marketing & Communications

ITHAKA

heidi.mcgregor@ithaka.org
212-358-6406

University of California Press:

Rebekah Darksmith
Sales & Marketing Director
rebekah.darksmith@ucpress.edu
510-643-0952

A new collaboration emerges to improve access to scholarship for
faculty, students, and librarians. University of California Press
and JSTOR today announced a new effort to invest in a shared
online platform and outreach services that promise to create a
more seamless, rich online work environment for faculty and
students, ease the burden on librarians of negotiating separate
license agreements with a multitude of publishers and independent
titles, and promote a more cost-effective publishing environment.

August 12, 2009 - Berkeley, CA and New York, NY - University of
California Press, the not-for-profit publishing arm of the
University of California, and JSTOR, the preservation archive and
research platform that is part of the not-for-profit ITHAKA, will
work in partnership - and encourage others to join them - to make
current and historical scholarly content available on a single,
integrated platform, to provide a single point of purchase and
access for librarians and end users around the world, and to
ensure its long-term preservation.

Beginning in 2011, current content from all University of
California Press published journals, including those from
scholarly societies, will be hosted on a re-designed JSTOR
platform.  Faculty and students around the world will be able to
access all licensed content on JSTOR - current issues, back
issues, and a growing set of primary source materials from
libraries - easily and seamlessly. JSTOR's nearly 6,000 library
participants worldwide will be able to license the Press's
current journals, either individually or as part of current issue
collections, together with JSTOR back issue collections in a
single transaction. The journals will also continue to be
preserved in Portico, the digital preservation service that is
also part of ITHAKA.

"We hear from many publishers about the challenges they face in
managing technology and achieving the scale needed to build
visibility and a widespread subscription base for their
journals." said Michael Spinella, JSTOR Managing Director, "At
the same time libraries and users often find it difficult to
license and use high-quality publications scattered among
hundreds of different publishers and sites. This new effort is
aimed at providing users seamless access to a wide range of
current and historical content, while enabling libraries to
support their access in more cost-effective ways."

"This should really help publishers, libraries, and the
community," added Rebecca Simon, Associate Director of University
of California Press and Director of the Journals + Digital
Publishing Division. "UC Press and our society clients will host
our publications on a platform where we benefit from rich
functionality and wider exposure to libraries than we have today,
where JSTOR's millions of users will be able to access the full
breadth of our content in a place they visit regularly, and where
libraries will be able to add our publications to their holdings
with the ease of a single license agreement and invoice from
JSTOR, while also being assured of their preservation over time."

The Current Scholarship Program - as the effort will be known -
grew out of a long-standing relationship and dialogue between UC
Press and JSTOR who share an understanding of the problems facing
scholarly communications and a deep desire to work together to
craft a sustainable publishing model that embodies academic
values.  The effort was also informed by research conducted by
Ithaka S+R, the strategy and research arm of ITHAKA, over the
past several years and the group's ongoing work to understand and
develop sustainable business models and support innovation in the
development and dissemination of digital scholarship.

Driving the partnership is an articulated set of principles,
among them: supporting the broad dissemination of quality
scholarship through affordable and sustainable means, promoting
fair and transparent pricing, facilitating seamless access to
authoritative content of all kinds, and ensuring reliable,
long-term preservation and access to scholarship. Organizations
interested in joining the Program in the future - whether
commercial or non-commercial - will be encouraged to embrace
these fundamentals as well.

"Now is the time for new approaches that will enable the academic
community to thrive in the future and to do so in ways and with
organizations that understand and support scholarly values," said
Lynne Withey, Director of University of California Press. "The
Press's purposes and interests are well aligned with our
colleagues at ITHAKA and with those of other scholarly
organizations and universities and colleges around the world. We
know what we are after, and we are eager to have a greater,
lasting impact by working together in ways that neither
organization, nor our colleagues in other organizations and
institutions, could alone."

In addition to easing access to scholarly content, the redesigned
JSTOR platform will also offer enhanced functionality to support
the publication of new digital scholarship.  Working with Atypon
Systems, whose Literatum technology is underlying both JSTOR and
UC Press's current platforms, the new platform will provide for
the delivery of multimedia content, increased personalization
features, and new navigation and visualization features.  This
development will help authors and their publishers take better
advantage of technology in the creation, explication, and impact
of their work.

For more information about the Current Scholarship Program, see
http://www.jstor.org/page/info/about/programs/currentScholarship.jsp

--END--

JSTOR

JSTOR is a preservation archive and research platform for the
academic community.  Through JSTOR, faculty, researchers, and
students are able to discover, use, and build upon a wide range
of content in a trusted digital archive of over 1,000 academic
journals, as well as conference proceedings, monographs, and
other scholarly content. Nearly 6,000 libraries and cultural
heritage institutions and hundreds of the world's leading
publishers of scholarly literature participate in and support
JSTOR.  JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit organization
helping the academic community use digital technologies to
advance scholarship and teaching in sustainable ways. ITHAKA also
includes two additional services - Ithaka S+R and Portico.

www.jstor.org <http://www.jstor.org/>
www.ithaka.org <http://www.ithaka.org/>

University of California Press

Founded in 1893, University of California Press is one of the
largest and most distinguished of American university presses,
publishing books and journals in the humanities, social sciences,
and natural sciences. The Press publishes nearly 200 new books
and 40 journals each year, representing a broad spectrum of
acclaimed works from innovative first works by young academics to
in-depth articles presenting the results of the research and
creative thinking of many of the world's foremost scholars. A
major publisher of scholarly journals, the Journals + Digital
Publishing Division has extensive experience providing
traditional and digital publishing services for more than 20
client scholarly societies and associations.

www.ucpressjournals.com www.ucpress.edu