Twitter and scientific communications

Very good piece by Michael Clarke at the Scholarly Kitchen on Twitter and
scientific communications:

http://bit.ly/1H7HRV

The question I have been pondering for some time now is what is the "market
share" of discovery of scholarly materials currently held by libraries and
how is that share changing over time.  My hypothesis is that the share is
dropping, perhaps sharply, but I don't know the baseline or all the
variables that have to be modelled.  A related question (assuming the first
hypothesis is correct) is does the drop level off or begin to move in the
other direction at some point (and what would influence that reversal).

Joe Esposito