article on entrepreneurship/technology in higher ed.

Fast Company has a very interesting piece on how technical
innovations such as open courseware are attempting "to bridge the
gap between free material and cheap education".  Among the
provocative passages:

Today, "open content" is the biggest front of innovation in
higher education. The movement that started at MIT has spread to
more than 200 institutions in 32 countries that have posted
courses online at the OpenCourseWare Consortium. But, as Wiley
[co-founder of a not-for-profit, online public charter high
school that draws on open courseware] points out, there's still a
big gap between viewing such resources as a homework aid and
building a recognized, accredited degree out of a bunch of
podcasts and YouTube videos. "Why is it that my kid can't take
robotics at Carnegie Mellon, linear algebra at MIT, law at
Stanford? And why can't we put 130 of those together and make it
a degree?" Wiley asks. "There are all these kinds of innovations
waiting to happen. A sufficient infrastructure of freely
available content is step one in a much longer endgame that
transforms everything we know about higher education." Definitely
worth a read for many list members.

Best, Greg